Take an ECG with the ECG app on Apple Picket
You lot can take an electrocardiogram (ECG) with the ECG app.
What is an ECG
An electrocardiogram (also called an ECG or EKG) is a exam that records the timing and strength of the electrical signals that brand the heart beat. By looking at an ECG, a medico tin can gain insights almost your heart rhythm and await for irregularities.
How to use the ECG app
Install and set the ECG app
The ECG app
is installed during the ECG app setup in the Health app. Follow these steps to set up the ECG app:
- Open the Wellness app on your iPhone.
- Follow the onscreen steps. If yous don’t see a prompt to set upward, tap the Scan tab, then tap Heart > Electrocardiograms (ECG) > Fix Upward ECG App.
- After you complete set up, open the ECG app to accept an ECG.
If you still don’t see the app on your Apple Watch, open up the Lookout man App on your iPhone and tap Eye. In the ECG section, tap Install to install the ECG app.
The ECG app isn’t bachelor in every country or region. Acquire where the ECG app is bachelor.
Take an ECG
You can take an ECG at any fourth dimension, when you’re feeling symptoms such every bit a rapid or skipped heartbeat, when you have other general concerns well-nigh your heart wellness, or when you receive an irregular rhythm notification.
- Make certain that your Apple Watch is snug and on the wrist that yous selected in the Apple Watch app. To cheque, open the Apple Sentry app, tap the My Lookout tab, then go to General > Lookout man Orientation.
- Open the ECG app
on your Apple Watch.
- Remainder your artillery on a table or in your lap.
- With the hand opposite your watch, hold your finger on the Digital Crown. Y’all don’t demand to press the Digital Crown during the session.
- Wait. The recording takes 30 seconds. At the end of the recording, you will receive a classification, then you can tap Add Symptoms and choose your symptoms.
- Tap Salvage to note whatever symptoms, then tap Done.
How to read results
After a successful reading, yous volition receive i of the following type of results on your ECG app. Regardless of the event, if you lot aren’t feeling well or are experiencing any symptoms, you lot should talk to your doctor.
A sinus rhythm effect means the center is beating in a uniform pattern between 50 and 100 BPM. This happens when the upper and lower chambers of the heart are beating in sync. A sinus rhythm issue only applies to that particular recording and doesn’t mean your eye beats with a consistent pattern all the fourth dimension. It as well does not mean that you’re healthy. If you’re not feeling well or are feeling whatsoever symptoms, you should talk to your doc.
An AFib event ways the heart is chirapsia in an irregular pattern. The ECG app ver. ane tin check for AFib between l and 120 BPM. The ECG app ver. 2 can bank check for AFib between 50 and 150 BPM.* AFib is the most common form of serious arrhythmia, or irregular centre rhythm. If you receive an AFib classification and you have non been diagnosed with AFib, you should talk to your doctor.
*Learn more than about ECG app version availability and find out which version yous’re using.
Low or high heart rate
An inconclusive effect means the recording tin’t exist classified. Information technology could be due to one of the following situations:
- In ECG version 1, your middle rate is between 100 and 120 BPM and you lot are non in AFib. The ECG app version 2 was also tested in a clinical trial with approximately 546 subjects, and demonstrated 99.iii% specificity with respect to sinus rhythm classification, and 98.5% sensitivity for AFib classification for the classifiable results.
- You have a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD).
- The recording may show signs of other arrhythmias or heart atmospheric condition that the app is not designed to recognize.
- Certain physiological conditions may prevent a small percentage of users from creating plenty betoken to produce a expert recording.
For ECG version 1, you might also go an inconclusive result if y’all are not resting your arms on a tabular array during a recording, or wearing your Apple Watch too loose. Learn how to get the best results.
This classification is unique to ECG version 2. Poor Recording means the issue can’t be classified. If you get a Poor Recording effect, there are a few things you can try in club to get a better recording.
- Rest your arms on a table or in your lap while you accept a recording. Try to relax and not move as well much.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch isn’t loose on your wrist. The band should be snug and the dorsum of your Apple Watch needs to exist touching your wrist.
- Brand sure that your wrist and your Apple Watch are make clean and dry out. Water and sweat can cause a poor recording.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch is on the wrist you lot selected in Settings.
- Movement away from any electronics that are plugged into an outlet to avoid electrical interference.
If you lot need assistance, contact Apple Support.
View and share your Health information
The ECG waveform, its associated classifications, and any noted symptoms will exist saved in the Health app on your iPhone. You can likewise share a PDF with your doc.
- Open the Health app.
- Tap the Browse tab, and so tap Eye > Electrocardiograms (ECG).
- Tap the chart for your ECG result.
- Tap Export a PDF for Your Doctor.
- Tap the Share buttonto print or share the PDF.
How to get the best results
- Rest your arms on a table or in your lap while you take a recording. Try to relax and not move besides much.
- Make certain that your Apple Watch isn’t loose on your wrist. The band should be snug, and the dorsum of your Apple tree Sentry needs to be touching your wrist.
- Brand sure that your wrist and your Apple Watch are clean and dry out.
- Make certain that your Apple Lookout is on the wrist that you selected in the Apple Watch app. To check, open the Apple tree Watch app, tap the My Lookout tab, and then go to Full general > Sentry Orientation.
- Move away from whatever electronics that are plugged into an outlet to avoid electrical interference.
A small percentage of people may have sure physiological atmospheric condition preventing the creation of enough indicate to produce a good recording — for example, the positioning of the heart in the breast tin can change the electrical bespeak levels, which could impact the ECG app’s ability to obtain a measurement.
Liquid-gratis contact is required for the ECG app to work properly. Use of the ECG app may be impacted if the Apple Sentinel and/or peel aren’t entirely dry out. Make sure that your wrist and hands are thoroughly dry earlier attempting a reading. To ensure the best reading after swimming, showering, heavy perspiration, or washing your hands, make clean and dry out your Apple Sentry. It may take up to one hr for your Apple tree Sentry to completely dry out.
Things you should know
- The ECG app cannot notice a center attack. If y’all ever experience chest pain, pressure, tightness, or what you call back is a heart attack, call emergency services immediately.
- The ECG app cannot find blood clots or a stroke.
- The ECG app cannot discover other heart-related conditions. These include high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, or other forms of arrhythmia.
- If you’re not feeling well or are feeling whatsoever symptoms, talk to your doctor or seek immediate medical attention.
How the ECG app works
The ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4, Serial 5, Serial vi, or Series 7 generates an ECG that is similar to a single-lead (or Lead I) ECG. In a doctor’south office, a standard 12-lead ECG is usually taken. This 12-lead ECG records electrical signals from different angles in the centre to produce twelve different waveforms. The ECG app on Apple Watch measures a waveform similar to one of those twelve waveforms. A single-lead ECG is able to provide data about heart rate and centre rhythm and enables classification of AFib. However, a unmarried-lead ECG cannot be used to place some other conditions, like center attacks. Unmarried-lead ECGs are often prescribed past doctors for people to vesture at domicile or within the hospital and then that the doctor can get a amend look at the underlying rate and rhythm of the heart. However, the ECG app on Apple Scout Series four, Series five, Series 6, or Series 7 allows you lot to generate an ECG similar to a single-lead ECG without a prescription from your doctor.
In studies comparison the ECG app on Apple Picket to a standard 12-lead ECG taken at the aforementioned fourth dimension, in that location was agreement between the ECG app classification of the rhythm every bit sinus or AFib compared to the standard 12-lead ECG.
The power of the ECG app to accurately classify an ECG recording into AFib and sinus rhythm was tested in a clinical trial of approximately 600 subjects, and demonstrated 99.6% specificity with respect to sinus rhythm nomenclature and 98.3% sensitivity for AFib classification for the classifiable results.
The clinical validation results reflect use in a controlled surroundings. Existent globe use of the ECG app may result in a greater number of strips being deemed inconclusive and not classifiable.