Millions of people plow to online dating apps or social networking sites to meet someone. But instead of finding romance, many find a scammer trying to trick them into sending money. Read most the stories romance scammers brand up and learn the #one tip for avoiding a romance scam.
- The Lies Romance Scammers Tell
- How To Avoid Losing Money to a Romance Scammer
- How To Study a Romance Scam
Romance scams reached a record $304 million in losses reported to the FTC in 2020. That’s up about l% from 2022.
Romance scammers create fake profiles on dating sites and apps, or contact their targets through popular social media sites like Instagram, Facebook, or Google Hangouts. The scammers strike up a relationship with their targets to build their trust, sometimes talking or chatting several times a day. And so, they make upwards a story and ask for money.
The Lies Romance Scammers Tell
They’ll often say they’re living or traveling outside of the United States. We’ve heard nigh scammers who say they are
- working on an oil rig
- in the military
- a doctor with an international system
Nosotros’ve heard nigh romance scammers asking their targets for money to
- pay for a plane ticket or other travel expenses
- pay for surgery or other medical expenses
- pay community fees to retrieve something
- pay off gambling debts
- pay for a visa or other official travel documents
Scammers inquire people to pay
- by wiring coin
- with reload cards similar MoneyPak or gift cards from vendors like Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, or Steam
Scammers inquire yous to pay past wiring money, with reload cards, or with gift cards considering they can get cash quickly and remain bearding. They as well know the transactions are nigh impossible to reverse.
How To Avoid Losing Money to a Romance Scammer
Hither’s the bottom line:
Never transport coin or gifts to a sweetheart you lot haven’t met in person.
If you suspect a romance scam
- Stop communicating with the person immediately.
- Talk to someone you trust, and pay attention if your friends or family unit say they’re concerned about your new beloved interest.
- Exercise a search for the type of job the person has to come across if other people have heard similar stories. For example, you lot could practice a search for “oil rig scammer” or “United states of america Ground forces scammer.” You lot tin also browse the comments on our blog posts about romance scams to hear other people’s stories:
- Faking information technology – scammers’ tricks to steal your heart and money
- Has an online dear interest asked you lot for money?
- Romance scams will cost you lot
- Practice a contrary paradigm search of the person’ profile picture show to run into if it’s associated with another name or with details that don’t match upward – those are signs of a scam.
How To Report a Romance Scam
If you paid a romance scammer with a gift menu, contact the company that issued the bill of fare correct abroad. Tell them yous paid a scammer with the gift bill of fare and ask if they can refund your money.
If you think information technology’south a scam, report information technology to the FTC at ReportFraud.ftc.gov. Notify the website or app where you met the scammer, besides.