Use 5G with your iPhone
iPhone 13 models, iPhone 12 models, and iPhone SE (3rd generation) piece of work with the 5G cellular networks of sure carriers. Larn how to utilize 5G cellular service.
What you need
- An iPhone 13 model, iPhone 12 model, or iPhone SE (3rd generation)
- A carrier that supports 5G
- A 5G cellular planane
If your new iPhone comes with a physical SIM or eSIM, employ that SIM. If not, utilise the SIM card from your previous iPhone. In some cases, y’all need to contact your carrier to set upwardly the SIM card from your previous iPhone for utilize with a 5G network.
Understand the 5G icons in the status bar
When yous’re in an area with 5G coverage for your carrier and your 5G cellular programme has been activated, you lot’ll come across a 5G icon in the status bar of your iPhone:
Your carrier’s 5G network is available, and your iPhone can connect to the internet over that network (not bachelor in all countries or regions).2
Your carrier’s 5G+, 5G UW, or 5G UC network is bachelor, which can include your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G. Your iPhone tin can connect to the internet over that network (not available in all countries or regions).2
Learn about 5G options
The default settings for 5G on iPhone are optimized for battery life and data usage based on your data plan. You can customize these options for when to use 5G and how much data to use in some apps.
Find these options by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options. If you lot’re using Dual SIM, become to Settings > Cellular and choose the number whose options you desire to change.
Vox & Data
Choose how your iPhone uses the 5G network, which can affect battery life.
- 5G Motorcar: Enables Smart Data manner. When 5G speeds don’t provide a noticeably better experience, your iPhone automatically switches to LTE, saving battery life.
- 5G On: E’er uses 5G network when it’s available. This might reduce battery life.
- LTE: Uses only LTE network, even when 5G is available.
In mainland China, you lot can turn on or off 5G Standalone past going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Phonation and Data. The default setting on iPhone has 5G Standalone on with iOS 14.5 or after for mainland Communist china. With 5G Standalone on, all cellular activeness uses 5G. For more than details on 5G networks, contact your carrier.
- Allow More than Data on 5G: Enables college information-usage features for apps and system tasks. These include higher-quality FaceTime, loftier-definition content on Apple tree Boob tube, Apple tree Music songs and videos, iOS updates over cellular, and automatic iCloud backups.
- With this setting, your iPhone can automatically use 5G instead of Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi connectivity is tedious or insecure on a network you lot visit occasionally. To turn this characteristic off and on for a certain network, become to Settings > Wi-Fi. Tap the info button next to the Wi-Fi network and tap Use Wi-Fi for Cyberspace.
- This setting too allows third-party apps to use more cellular data for enhanced experiences.
- This is the default setting with some unlimited-data plans, depending on your carrier.
- This setting uses more cellular data.
- Standard: Allows automatic updates and groundwork tasks on cellular, and uses standard quality settings for video and FaceTime. This is generally the default mode.
- Depression Information Mode: Helps reduce Wi-Fi and cellular-information usage past pausing automatic updates and groundwork tasks.
Many carriers around the world support 5G roaming. If your carrier doesn’t support 5G roaming, you tin get cellular data through 4G or LTE networks or obtain a local SIM carte or eSIM with 5G where available.
Contact your carrier for more information.
If you don’t run into 5G in the status bar
- Make certain that you’re in an surface area with 5G coverage. Contact your carrier if you’re not certain.
- Get to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Information Options. If you see this screen, your device has 5G activated. If y’all don’t see this screen, contact your carrier to ostend that your plan supports 5G.
- Turn on Airplane Mode, then turn it off.
If you still don’t have 5G service, contact your carrier.
- If you want to employ 5G with Dual SIM on iPhone 12 models, make certain that you have iOS xiv.5 or later.
- You can cull to ever stream the highest quality content by going to Settings > Music > Cellular Data and turning on High Quality Streaming and Settings > TV > Cellular and tapping Loftier Quality. These settings utilize more than cellular data, and content might take longer to offset playing.
- If you lot plow on Low Power Mode, 5G is disabled except in some cases like video streaming and large downloads. With iPhone 12 models, Low Power Fashion disables 5G Standalone (where bachelor).
1. Contact your carrier to check if you accept a 5G plan. Some carriers might charge an activation fee.
ii. Higher frequency 5G networks are supported merely in the U.s.a. when using an iPhone purchased in the United States.