Keyboard shortcuts are essential for existence productive on whatever device with a keyboard, whether it’s a Windows PC or a Mac. Apply these keyboard shortcuts to get effectually your Mac more than quickly.
Many Mac keyboard shortcuts work just like the Windows ones but apply the Command and Option keys. Other keyboard shortcuts are entirely different.
Launching and Quitting Applications
How the Command and Pick Keys Work on a Mac
Spotlight Search: Press Command + Space to open the Spotlight search field. You can speedily start typing to search and printing Enter to launch an application or open a file. Recollect of this like pressing the Windows primal and typing to search and launch applications on Windows.
Strength Quit Applications: Press Command + Choice + Escape to open the Force Quit Applications dialog, where y’all can forcibly close if they’re frozen. This is the Mac equivalent to pressing Ctrl + Alt + Escape to open the Job Manager on Windows.
Force Quit The Electric current Application: Press Command + Shift + Option + Escape and concur downwardly the keys for three seconds. Your Mac volition forcefulness-close the forepart-most awarding, which is useful if it isn’t responding and yous can’t even open up the Force Quit Applications window. Note that this can crusade applications to lose your work. Like the Task Manager on Windows, you lot should only use this feature when necessary.
47 Keyboard Shortcuts That Work in All Spider web Browsers
Different spider web browsers share standard keyboard shortcuts that piece of work similarly on all operating systems, including Mac OS X. On a Mac, the big divergence is that you’ll ordinarily be pressing the Command key instead of the Ctrl or Alt keys y’all’d press on Windows.
Control + F –
Showtime searching the current page. This also works in other applications.
Control + Left Pointer
– Get back a page.
Command + Right Arrow
– Go forward a page.
Command + T
– Open up a new tab.
Command + Westward
– Shut the electric current tab.
Command + 50
– Focus the browser’s location bar then you tin outset typing a search or web address immediately.
Ctrl + Tab
– Switch between open tabs.
Ctrl + Shift + Tab
– Switch between open tabs in contrary.
Check out our guide to spider web browser keyboard shortcuts for a more exhaustive list.
The xx Most Important Keyboard Shortcuts For Windows PCs
Text-editing keyboard shortcuts also function similarly between Mac and Windows. Ane again, you’ll more often than not but exist pressing the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. This is a bigger divergence than it seems at starting time glance. The Command key is straight adjacent to the Infinite bar on Mac keyboards, while the Ctrl primal is in the lesser-left corner on Windows keyboards. The mode you have to position your fingers is different, then your muscle retentivity can interfere with these shortcuts.
Command + A
– Select All
Control + X
Command + C
Control + Five
Command + Z
Command + Shift + Z
Control + Left Pointer
– Become to the commencement of the electric current line.
Command + Right Pointer
– Go to the finish of the current line.
Pick + Left Arrow
– Motion the cursor left ane word.
Option + Right Arrow
– Move the cursor correct 1 discussion.
Option + Delete
– Delete the give-and-take to the left of the cursor. Bear in listen that the Delete button on a Mac functions like Backspace on Windows.
Equally on Windows, y’all can press Shift to select text while using these shortcuts. For instance, concur down Shift and Selection and tap the left arrow repeatedly to select entire previous words.
Managing Open Applications
Mission Control 101: How to Use Multiple Desktops on a Mac
Macs offer an application switcher that works but like Alt + Tab does on Windows, but there are many more keyboard shortcuts that necktie into the Mission Control characteristic. Read our our guide to using Mission Control for more keyboard shortcuts and tricks.
Command + Tab
– Move through a list of open applications. This is like Alt + Tab on Windows.
Command + Shift + Tab
– Motility through the list in contrary.
Command + Q
– Quit the current application. This is similar Alt + F4 on Windows.
– Open Mission Control to view all open application windows and desktops.
Ctrl + Left Pointer
– Motility ane desktop to the left.
Ctrl + Right Arrow
– Move one desktop to the right.
If you’d like to have a screenshot of your Mac’south entire screen, just printing Command + Shift + three. You can as well press Command + Shift + 4 to have a motion picture of part of the screen. The screenshot will be saved to your Mac’s desktop.
Paradigm Credit: Ian Dick on Flickr
- › How to Install, Remove, and Manage Fonts on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- › How to Detect Your Computer’s Uptime and Installation Engagement
- › How to Hide Files and Folders on Every Operating Organisation
- › Use Your Mac’s Preview App to Crop, Resize, Rotate, and Edit Images
- › How to Customize Your OS Ten Keyboard and Add Shortcuts
- › Master Chrome OS With These Chromebook Keyboard Shortcuts
- › How (and Why) to Change Your MAC Address on Windows, Linux, and Mac
- › What’s New in Chrome 102, Bachelor Now